11.20.2013

A Walk in the Woods

Once in a while, I make something and forget to post about it. I made this sweet baby quilt over a year ago, so I'll go ahead and blame it on the pregnancy-brain I was experiencing at that time. 
When I made this one, I decided to submit the idea to Moda Bake Shop so I had to keep it under wraps until I knew if it was accepted. In the meantime, I snapped a few pictures and sent it off to my sweet sister-in-law.
By the way, this adorable fabric is primarily "A Walk in the Woods" by Aneela Hoey for Moda. I also managed to sneak in a houndstooth print from "Vintage Modern" (Bonnie & Camille for Moda) and another from "Millie's Closet" (Lori Holt for Riley Blake Designs). 
I love freemotion swirls, don't you? And let's not forget some super cuddly fleece on the back. It takes a bit getting used to quilting with something this thick, but the result is well worth it in the end.
Now if you don't recognize what this prototype became, that's okay. (I made some major changes between here and there.) It's my "Jumping Jacks" pattern, and the tutorial can be found at the Moda Bake Shop here. You can also see my original post about it here.
I'm sure you'll notice this is pretty much a complete reversal of that pattern. In this one, I used a charm pack to create a variety of center blocks with mainly neutral fabric framing them, and only a few "accent" frames. In the MBS version, I used a jelly roll to create a variety of frames around primarily neutral blocks--with a couple "accent" blocks thrown in the mix.
It's funny what things can change from rough draft to final, eh?

6 comments:

  1. I love this quilt!! great pattern and quilting and the back looks so soft!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for showing your quilt!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! It's gorgeous. I'm glad you showed it--as soon as the picture popped up, I just thought "ooh!" Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bring a fan of both white and "implied lines", I actually like this one more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy you showed us this one with the one color in the corners. I like it even better. I have printed up the pattern. I hope to work on it this next year after we are settled from this horrid move.
    Thank you Vanessa. You have become my favorite pattern person!

    ReplyDelete